The rules for taking part in Booktrailer Film Festival
The rules for taking part in Booktrailer Film Festival
The BOOKTRAILER FILM FESTIVAL (BFF) is promoted by the Liceo Scientifico A. Calini in collaboration with:
- Lower secondary school “Giosuè Carducci”, Brescia;
- Polish secondary school “Zespol Szkol Ogolnoksztalcacych nr 2”, Nowy Targ;
- Bulgarian secondary school “Atanas Dalchev”, Sofia;
- Croatian secondary school “Gimnazija Karlovac”, Karlovac;
- Romanian secondary school “Colegiul National Spiru Haret”, Bucarest;
- Italian secondary school in Madrid;
- Italian secondary school in Barcelona.
The Booktrailer Film Festival is a place for meeting and discussing literature and the ways it has been promoted through cinematographic language. It holds meetings, workshops with writers, journalists, actors, film directors and other experts. It engages schools, libraries, bookshops, associations, and websites aimed at the promotion of cinema and literature. In fact, the aim of the project is to spread the Booktrailer, a short video recreating a book and inviting people to its reading. An important moment of the Festival is a contest in which lower and upper secondary school students’ engagement and creativity are involved to independently create the booktrailers.
The official information channels for the Booktrailer Film Festival include: the interactive web platform (www.booktrailerfilmfestival.eu), the connected Facebook page and Instagram profile, and the newsletter.
Its official Media Partners are the local newspaper ‘Il Giornale di Brescia’ and TV channel Teletutto, Brescia.
Its Partners are:
- for the European aspects of the project ‘Atelier Europa’, Brescia;
- for the Booktrailer Film Festival JUNIOR ‘Giosuè Carducci’ Lower Secondary School, Brescia;
- for Press and Communication ‘Accademia Santa Giulia’, Brescia;
- AGEnda Cinema a Fedic Cineclub in Brescia which provides events and experts for local training activities.
It collaborates with schools, libraries, bookstores, associations, publishers and Internet sites for the dissemination of reading and cinema.
Created by the Liceo Scientifico ‘A. Calini’ in 2007 the Booktrailer Film Festival became European in 2016 thanks to the involvement of schools from different European countries which are now partners in an Erasmus+ Project.
A national jury of experts, for each country involved, proceeds to designate winners of the ‘Jury Prize’ and the awarding of prizes. Moreover, each national jury selects by March 16th 2023 a maximum of three booktrailers that will take part in the European competition.
A jury of visually impaired experts, chaired by an Italian film director and scriptwriter autonomously designates the winner of the ‘Accessibility Prize’. The Accessibility Prize is sponsored by UIC (Italian Visually Impaired People Union).
A European jury, composed of two teachers and two students from each partner school and chaired by the Italian jury president, assigns the ‘European Teachers and Students’ Jury Award’ to the best European booktrailer.
A working team, composed of teachers, students, parents and experts, organizes the competition, which is to be repeated annually, and all of the initiatives related to the festival.
A scientific committee, composed of some leading figures in different fields (cinema, literature, art, music, advertising) and chaired by the Headmaster, guarantees the cultural quality of the initiative.
The names and biographies of the members of the scientific committee and juries can be found on the Booktrailer Film Festival’s official website, provided by the following link:
WHO CAN TAKE PART
Individual students, groups of students, or entire classes of lower and upper secondary schools can take part in the Booktrailer Film Festival Competition.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THE CONTEST
The sign up request is free and it must be completed, exclusively online, from December 12th 2022 to February 16th 2023, through the festival website, www.booktrailerfilmfestival.eu. The booktrailers, unpublished and not published elsewhere before the award ceremony, must be sent to the above website. The choice of the book to be reworked is up to the participant(s). Having registered as ‘users’ on the platform does not necessarily imply taking part in the contest.
The author or the person in charge of the booktrailer (after being named by the members in case of group work) who intends to participate in the contest must:
-create a personal channel on www.youtube.com (called after the name of the participant);
-upload the booktrailer on YouTube opting for the “Unlisted form” (please, don’t confuse it with “private form” or “public form”);
- add English subtitles according to the YouTube procedure so that they can be visible or not according to the watchers;
- save the booktrailer’s YouTube Link in its full, extended form;
- sign up on the BFF platform and create a user profile, then confirm the registration by clicking on the email link;
- complete the user profile with truthful information, paying very much attention to fill in the Country section and email;
- sign up to the contest, filling in the application form in every part by paying attention to:
● filling in the box with the title of the book which has to be in the national language and in brackets the title in English. For example, Il vecchio e il mare (The old man and the see);
● the “synopsis box” is to be filled in both in the national language and in English;
● uploading the youtube full link, otherwise it won’t be visible on platform;
● everyone taking part in the project has to be registered on the platform.
Participants are responsible for compilation errors, including those that are related to the link provided for viewing the booktrailer. The Booktrailer Film Festival’s staff isn’t responsible for checking and reporting on these errors. After the submission of the registration form and the uploading of the booktrailer, it won’t be possible in any case to modify the submitted information. Every student can only present one booktrailer. In the case of group works, the participants are allowed to present only one other booktrailer individually or in other groups. As regards copyright violation, all instructions are available on the website. Only the booktrailer’s author(s) will be responsible for any possible violation.
Please, regularly check on the news page of the platform, some little changes could be done after the publication of the announcement.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS TO VALIDATE THE PARTICIPATION
Keeping in mind that the choice of the book is free, the booktrailer:
- must be the result of the students’ autonomous work (teachers or experts can only play a cultural stimulation role in the production of the work);
- must have the same title as the book;
- cannot last more than 1 minute and 30 seconds, credits included;
- cannot be disclosed, nor contain a third person’s intellectual property or shall be invalid;
- must not be published or published elsewhere before the announcements of the juries;
- can be in any language but must have English subtitles, embedded in the video according to the Youtube uploading procedure, overlaid in the booktrailer;
- must have credits in which all of these elements must be present:
• Cover of the book;
• Names of the participants and their role;
• Name of the school, City and Country;
• Name and origin of the music tracks used;
• Provenience of any other further image used (pictures, original videos etc).
- Attention: Participants from Poland (in accordance with the statute of the contest in Poland) are obligated to send the registration form also to the organizer of the Polish preliminary phase. More detailed information can be found on the website:
Booktrailers not respecting all of the above criteria will be excluded from the competition.
The contest, reserved to lower and upper secondary schools, awards distinct prizes at the unquestionable judgment of the different juries:
- three prizes given by the Italian Jury with the possibility of an ex-aequo between the first and the second prize (secondary schools only);
- a prize for accessibility awarded by the UIC Jury (Italian Visually Impaired People Union);
- national prizes assigned by the national juries elected by partner schools in Croatia, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania;
- a European Teachers and Students’ Jury Award, during the award ceremony in Brescia;
- an online Audience Award, as the result of the on-line voting procedures on the web platform, which will be open from March 20th 2023 to March 25th 2023;
- the competition reserved to the lower secondary school awards (valid only for the Italian contest);
- a first prize awarded by the Junior Italian Jury.
AWARD CEREMONY UPPER SECONDARY SCHOOLS
All prizes are made public on March 28th, 2023 at ‘Teatro Sociale’ in Brescia. An English translation will be provided.
The members of the Italian Jury for the upper secondary schools will meet on March 14th, 2023, at 15. They will evaluate the booktrailers and will award a cash prize to the three best works as follows:
- 1st prize: €1000 and a plate
- 2nd prize: €600 and a parchment
- 3rd prize: €400 and a parchment
Further mentions and/or prizes could be given for the works of particular value.
The Italian national jury and all of the other national juries will, afterwards and within March 14th 2023, select a maximum of three booktrailers per country to take part in the European contest.
Because of the attention that the Festival pays to the theme of accessibility, the Italian Jury will be committed to give a special mention and 200 euros to the most accessible booktrailer for blind or partially-sighted people, with the support of the Unione Italiana Ciechi e Ipovedenti of Brescia (Italian Visually Impaired People Union).
The European Award will be communicated on the same evening and it will consist of a parchment or a plate. The on-line Audience Award will be assigned on the same evening and will consist of books purchasable online.
LOWER SECONDARY SCHOOLS
The members of the Italian Jury for the lower secondary schools will meet on March 14th, 2023, at 15. They will evaluate the booktrailers and will award a cash prize of 300 euros to the best work. Further mentions will be given, as well as further prizes other than money.
The members of the European Jury, composed by two teachers and two students from each school partner, will exclusively operate online, selecting the winning booktrailer within March 21st 2023.
CRITERIA FOR AWARDING PRIZES
The Juries indicate the winners and the selection of the booktrailers to show, and at their unquestionable judgment, based on the following criteria listed in no order of priority:
- clarity (communicative competence);
- originality (creative competence);
- use of technology (digital competence);
- text comprehension (literary competence);
- product completeness and resources employment (managing competence).
All of the awards are accompanied by a written motivation that is made public during the Award Ceremony and that will appear on the website.
The Booktrailer Film Festival working team, that is to say the organizer and promoter of the event, can make decisions on any matters not included in this notice, with particular reference to the current pandemic, still present in Europe at the date when this notice was written. The registration form for the Booktrailer Film Festival Contest implies the unconditional acceptance of this announcement. The calendar and the schedule of the screenings are the responsibility of the festival.
The booktrailers received will become part of the Booktrailer Film Festival archive for any future educational and research purposes. The Booktrailer Film Festival reserves the right to network and / or use the booktrailers on a royalty free basis, only for cultural purposes and not for profit, to promote cultural exchanges, special projects, collaborations with other institutions and organizations, etc. The Booktrailer Film Festival invites all of its participants to share their booktrailers online, through the most appropriate channels, only after the awards ceremony and their upload to the site for public viewing. The works selected for the competition may also be published online without any commercial purpose on the Booktrailer Film Festival web platform www.booktrailerfilmfestival.eu, in connection with the Liceo Calini website www.liceocalini.gov.it and other partner schools. All rights related to the work are owned by the authors. Responsibility for any property rights violation through the use of images, sounds, or videos is the responsibility of the Booktrailer authors.
The Court of Brescia is responsible for any dispute.
For any issues, please contact your Country manager.
Bulgaria: Ms. Nina Sercova , email@example.com
Croatia: Ms. Martina Vičić Crnković, firstname.lastname@example.org
Romania: Ms. Stefania Ciobanu, email@example.com
Spain: Mr. Angelo Nicotra, firstname.lastname@example.org
Poland: Ms. Anna Miskowiec, email@example.com
From all other Countries: firstname.lastname@example.org